Thursday, December 27, 2012

Look waht Santa brought

Hi All,

I've wanted a set of these since I saw them a couple of years ago but they were just to heavy to ship out to Dubai. . . . . . . . . Until now.

They are a set of hydraulic car ramps.

Six inches colapsed.

A few pumps and 15 inches height so lots of clearance.

I will post more details once I have a chance to use them a few times.

They are from CJ Auto in the UK, this is their site here.

Many thanks to Spencer at SVDP Racing for letting me steal some of the space in his container.

Richard B.

Next . . . . . . Another got at the Autodrome I think :-)

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Autocross pictures

Hi All,

As promised photos from the autocross. Hope you like them.
Thanks to all the guys at EVOLE for all there hard work.

Thanks to Motoring Middle East, Crank and PistonCult86, Laurie and Yorky's for the photos and video.

And now the boring nerdy bit, tire pressures and temperatures.

First run = 1:59.47
Cold, front 34, rear 28 psi.
FL 35psi 52c 43c 46c
FR 35psi 45c 42c 43c
RL 28psi 45c 46c 47c
RR 29psi 48c 46c 44c

Second run = 1:54.34
Down to warm, front 34, rear 26 psi.
FL 34.5psi 51c 44c 39c
FR 34.5psi 43c 40c 41c
RL 27psi 46c 45c 41c
RR 26.5psi 43c 43c 43c

Third run = 1:54.12
FL 34psi 49c 42c 40c
FR 34psi 41c 41c 42c
RL 26psi 47c 46c 43c
RR 26psi 43c 41c 45c

Fourth run = 1:49.87
FL 34psi 52c 43c 40c
FR 34psi 40c 41c 41c
RL 27psi 50c 51c 43c
RR 26.5psi 40c 43c 43c

Fifth run = 1:55.55
Down to warm, front 30, rear 22psi

Six run = 1:48.47
Up to warm, front 30, rear 24psi

Richard B.

Friday, November 16, 2012


Took the MG out for a blast today, a real blast.

The Evolve Fun Speed Run (Autocross).

Managed a very respectable FIRST in class.

Fastest Classis, 1:48, second in class was an MX5 (barely even a classic) and he did 1:59.
Will post more photos and all the times once they are published !

Richard B.

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Running again !

Hi All,
FIXED ! got her running again. All thanks to a new ignition set up.
As was.

Original, maybe original 40 year old coil.

And the distributor with breaker points.

Well now, same looking, well nearly some new HT leads as well.

New coils, same 3 Ohm, just new as they do fail and I suspected the old one.

Some bits missing inside the distributor. Points removed and a new mounting on the advance plate.

A magnetic "hall effect" pick up to replace the breaker points.

Fitted with a new rotor arm.

So new; coil; "points", leads, rotor arm, distrubutor cover and sorted.

Just fine tuned the timing and the carbs and sorted.

Richard B.

Next . . . . . . . Not sure, but I know I'm going to go for a drive !

Cutting it - aka Gasket making.

Hi All,
As part of the get her runing again I noticed a LOT of fuel in one of the carburetor throughts so had to take them off to check.


The float bowl off.

The float was set wrong so flooding the carb !

 And reset the nozzle height on the bridge.

As the carbs were off time to make some gaskets. These seal the carb to the spacer and to the cylinder head so you don;t get any vacuum leak.

Gasket sheets pennies for a large sheet.

If the part is already greasy, no problem. If not mark up the part with paint or a marker pen.

 Rub a piece of gasket sheet on part hard and the shape will transfer.

Then cut out and jobs done.
A fraction of the cost of buying and way more satisfying !

Richard B.

Next . . . . . . a package from Pertronix and a new ignition system.

The Sound of Slience

Sorry been queit here for a while, well the other women has been keeping me very busy, including a 24 hour endurance race in Spain where we finihsed 4th, (including a mid race engine change).

More info on the team site here.

The BMW is still in europe at the moment so time for some MG time soon.

Richard B.

Next . . . . . . Sort the ignition and get her running again !

Thursday, May 24, 2012

NACA Scoop

Hi All,

Well what have I been up to recently ? Still no time to play with the MG.

SVDP racing are going to enter the Bareclona 24 hours, so we are running round like mad trying to get a very long list of things done.
One of them is to fix the bonnet, a recent locking pin “incident” resulted in it flipping back going down the pit lane. As  a result some GRP work was required. As part of this one of the jobs that also needed doing on the bonnet was the NACA scoop, at the moment there is a horrid ABS plastic unit bolted with nutserts to the bonnet and sitting proud.

Well I thought I could do a lot better, so here we go.
This is the original scoop, it sits about 10mm proud at the front, hardly the streamlined and aerodynamic venturie it is supposed to be.

First step is to make a wooden mould (or buck) cover with bondo, multiple coats of paint, release wax and release agent.

Then lay on the carbon fibre. I used 200g 2-2 twil, four layers on the main part but only two on the flange to give the flange some flex to contour the bonnet properly.

Did I mention mould release ! hmm, yes I did use lots. I think the sides were too vertical for good part release, never mind.
A bit of clean up and here we are.

Not a bad finish.

Some balsa cross bracing on the back side,

190g and strong enough to stand on !

All I've got to do now is sand it, lacquer it and then fit it into the bonnet.
Richard B.

Next . . . . . do the rest of the work on the bonnet.