Sunday, January 30, 2011
Hi All, While waiting for my new brake cylinder I also ordered some other goodies, including a new stereo. Due to the vagaries of USPS and EmPost the brake cylinder still wasn't here so we're off the road still. So in order to cheer myself up I thought I'd fit the stereo. There was an original British Leyland twin knob one fitted but somebody had snapped the aerial and it was AM only so it's pointless. (Sorry about the focus, this is a crop from another photo. MUST remember to take photos before I start next project !) Once out it's no great surprise it didn’t work well. This is the new unit, specially designed for old cars. It’s a RetroSound Classic model. As it's designed for old cars the centre body is small, so no CD, however there is jack on front for iPod and also a media card reader. You can adjust and position the control knobs where ever you like, so a bit of assembly needed to get this far. Cropped off the DIN harness connections and soldered on a Lucas style bullet and then as I'll not be running permanent power (Battery Isolator fitted) I twined both powers together. Then a nice big eye for earth, a proper crimping tool was a recent purchase and works nicely. The antenna runs inside the wing, partly through a cut out from inside the bonnet and partly inside void accessed via a removable mud panel in the wheel well. The old speaker was a single coil 4 ohm speaker mounted directly to the trim in the passenger foot well. I've gone for the same location but I am using a dual coil 4+4 ohm speaker so will be louder. I've also done the job properly and mounted it with proper brackets so it's not just dangling on plastic trim. This is the new unit in the hole in the steel support structure behind the dash, all wired and connected. However the unit relies on the being bolted from the front to the dashboard. There is a replacement facia that comes supplied and took me a long time to figure out that I would have to glue this to the dash. Sadly the instruction manual just refers to "multiple options for custom mounting" and no clear instructions. In case you've goggled and ended up here, this is how I did it. Now on all in, tested and working, just to put it all back together ! Foot well lining with speaker, the grill is original. Media card reader, USB and jack input sockets all nicely mounted out of the way in the glove box. And all finished. Doesn’t look that different really, but guess that's the point. But it does work and sounds great, not sure for 120 kph but certainly enough for cruising around town. Any comments, questions or other abuse please leave a comment. Cheers, Richard B. Next . . . . . Hopefully the master cylinder to get back on the road.